International Women’s Day
Imagine a gender equal world.
A world free of bias, stereotypes, and discrimination.
A world that is diverse, equitable, and inclusive.
A world where difference is valued and celebrated.
Together we can forge women’s equality.
Collectively we can all #BreakTheBias. 1
International Women’s Day (March 8th) recognizes and celebrates the historical, cultural, social, and political achievements of women. This day is observed globally in support of taking action against gender inequality around the world.
Beginning as a labor movement, International Women’s Day was formally recognized by the United Nations for the first time in 1975. The UN began announcing annual themes for the day in 1995. This year’s theme is “gender equality today for a sustainable tomorrow.”
Are you ready to learn more? Check out the following links below!
- Timeline on the History of International Women’s Day
- Take the UN Women’s quiz
- View the International Women’s Day Message from the Secretary-General of the United Nations
- Read an essay from Malala Yousafzai
- View Photo Essay: International Women’s Day Around the Globe
- Take an open online course on Gender and Environment from the UN
- Learn how to use more gender inclusive language
- Check on one of these 11 kids’ books about groundbreaking women
The work of the Frank, Rimerman Values Forward Committee ensures all of our employees experience our values in the same way – focusing on integrating diversity, equity and inclusion into all aspects of our work.
1 IWD 2022 campaign theme: #BreakTheBias (internationalwomensday.com)